Friday, August 21, 2015

I Only Have One Life


I just read Maya's post and it really struck a chord with me. I often feel like I don't have enough time in my day. It's very hard for me to slow down - and waiting is even worse! I hate waiting, because if I'm not doing something while I wait, it feels like I've lost that time.

Jupiter Ascending is a movie I really like for a lot of reasons, but one of the most important is a remark by one of the characters that the most valuable resource we have is TIME. That was something I'd felt for a long time but hadn't really found a way to explain. There are so many different things I want to do, not to mention all of the things I ought to do or NEED to do, and I only have one life to do them in.

There are more books published in a year than I could possibly read in a year, even if all I did was read. My to-read list keeps growing instead of shrinking. There are movies and tv shows that sound fascinating, but that I haven't yet watched. I purchased the Mass Effect trilogy almost a year ago - I think it was on sale last Thanksgiving - gosh, I hope it wasn't the Thanksgiving BEFORE last! - but I haven't even opened the program because I'm still in the middle of the first Dragon Age game, which I started the previous summer.

I do try to declutter, but it's HARD. There's fanfic to read and costumes to sew and languages to study and and parents to visit and coding to practice and doodles to sketch and siblings to call and songs to sing and friends to play games with and plays to perform - all things that are fun and invigorating. They fill my life in wonderful ways.

How can I give any of them up?

So I prioritize. I try to focus. I cycle through, trying to keep up with everything while sometimes feeling like I'm not making progress in anything. And when that happens, I also try to forgive myself.

Starter text here Rest of text here. Any final text here. Image thanks to URL HERE

0 comments:

Post a Comment