Friday, July 11, 2008

Friday Five: Midsummer Nights’ Dreams

Welcome to this week's Friday Five, all about dreams. They're funny things. I've heard it said that we don't dream in color, but I've always had full use of my senses in dreams. And I've heard it said that you don't die in dreams, but that's also not true, because I died and I went to a white room - not all that big, though. Kind of like a waiting room. I don't remember much else about that dream, alas! Oddly, my husband says he doesn't remember his dreams.

Click through to read the questions and my responses. You can find out what other people have said here.

What are some recurring dreams you’ve had? When I was little, I dreamed that I was part of a superhero team that consisted of a bunch of cartoon characters. I know Inspector Gadget was one of them, as were the Ghostbusters ... and OMG, I think I must've repressed how AWFUL that show was!!! So, so, so bad.

What is the significance of dreams in telling you about yourself? Hm. In regards to that particular dream, either it means I have always wanted to be part of something larger than myself and do something meaningful and world-changing and good, or it means I watched way too many cartoons. In general, though, I think it's just the brain having some WHEEEE! time.

How do you feel after you’ve had one of THOSE dreams? What, a my-class-ignores-both-instruction-and-management dream? One of my greatest fears is that one day everyone will wake up and realize that I don't really KNOW what I'm doing, I've just been lucky with my guesses.

What was the last dream you remember? No idea, to be honest. So, instead, my most memorable dream: the death of my former best friend. I'd moved away and we lost touch. She was in the hospital, and I meant to go see her, but I kept putting it off. My mom called and told me that she'd died and I felt SO BAD. The next morning I could barely get through breakfast. I knew I'd have to go to the funeral, but I didn't want to face her family. She'd been in the hospital for some time, and I'd known I should at least go visit. I should've just gone right away when mom called. (pause) (think) No, mom called to tell me she'd died. How did I find out about the hospital? I searched my memory, but ... nothing. And when I thought back, I realized I didn't feel bad about her death yesterday, and I didn't actually remember mom's call. Right there over my bowl of cereal I started crying with relief as I figured out that I'd dreamed it.

When did you last dream about something that later happened as you dreamt it? To my knowledge, never happened. However, I don't often try to remember my dreams much beyond thinking over them in the first few minutes after waking up.

0 comments:

Post a Comment