Tuesday, December 09, 2008

Poems

Lately I've been collecting poems that really resonate with me in a "Poems I Love" binder. It's slow going, because I'm not really a poetry kind of person. I dunno. I don't know if I'm just not imaginative enough or what, but there's just something about clear, simple prose that tends to click with me a lot more often than the inscrutable artistry of many poems.

So I'm looking for suggestions - ideally, something I can find online, because our local libraries are really hit-or-miss on volumes of poetry. To look at what I've got so far, click through.

- The Highwayman
- Paul Revere's Ride
- The Rival Poet
- Another Reason Why I Don't Keep a Gun in the House
- I Chop Some Parsley While Listening to Art Blakey's Version of "Three Blind Mice"
- Aristotle
- The Star-Spangled Banner
- Pioneer Woman
- Days
- Let America Be America Again
- The Journey
- Love Is Not All
- Falling in Love Is Like Owning a Dog
- High Flight
- Song for Naomi
- Blueberries
- Daffodils
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night
- Dulce Et Decorum Est
- Pro Patria
- Invictus
- Fiction and the Reading Public
- Ginsberg
- i carry your heart with me
- I Could Be a Poet
- Like Lily Like Wilson
- Little Boy Blue
- Lot's Wife
- Muse
- Miracle Workers
- Musee des Beaux Arts
- The Naming of Cats
- Opal
- Fueled
- Imperfection
- Hotel Nights With My Mother
- Fire
- Saint Francis and the Sow
- For My People
- Don't Quit
- Television
- A Prayer for my Daughter
- Sonnet 130 (Shakespeare)
- Sonnet 138 (Shakespeare)
- The Duel
- What Teachers Make
- To Failure
- The the impotence of proofreading
- Totally like whatever
- Why I Have a Crush on You, UPS Man
- Tony Steinberg: Brave Seventh Grade Viking Warrior
- Villanelle After a Burial


Which poems speak to you, and why?

0 comments:

Post a Comment