Wednesday, April 01, 2009

Small People

I have a dilemma.

I'm finally getting to the point that I like my classroom library. I've read almost all of the books in it, and I can always make good recs to my students based on prior experience and/or general taste.

But it makes me just GRIND MY TEETH when I see students folding the front cover of a paperback around the back. Especially because some of these books are mine from when I was in junior high, so they are NOT in tip-top shape!

And then I notice that some of the books that lots of students like are... not there. It kills me! I mean, I want them to enjoy the books. I want them to LOVE the books. I just don't want them to KEEP the books.

But I want them to have free access to them. I don't want the checkout process to be so messy that they DON'T. And I don't want to lock the books away, either. I want it to have a very comfortable atmosphere.

I'm not sure how I can balance all of that.

It also bothers me that they don't follow the guidelines I've set for our class procedures. They are supposed to come in and get their SSR materials BEFORE the bell rings and be in their seats and reading by the late bell. And most of the class isn't. If it was one or two of them, I could just assign detentions, but it seems silly to write up over half the class (plus that's an awful lot of paper). And I haven't seen administration holding them to it - never mind that we're SUPPOSED to assign detentions for tardies.

But then when I got to close the door, I see other students meandering down the hall. AFTER THE BELL! I mean, WTF?

I am just not a very patient person. Now I do a pretty good job of keeping my cool, but it BUGS me! I am not asking too much. And I get tired of having to repeat the same instructions over and over again. I mean, reminders a couple of times a week, sure, I could see that. But repeatedly each day?

WTF?

Thank goodness it's Carnival Day.

Image thanks to http://www.stealingdan.co.uk/

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sometimes we just have to let it go. Like Cmdr. Adama on Battlestar Galactica, I follow the axiom - "Never lend a book." If you want to let a student take a book out of your room, you need to be OK with never getting it back. At that point it is a gift.

Post a Comment