Saturday, August 03, 2013

YEEP.

So it's been an exciting few days, schoolwise. I'll write more about some of the rest of it tomorrow (I hope) but last night I posted over on the EC Ning asking if anybody else was interested in a book discussion of Notice & Note, by Kylene Beers and Robert Probst. And by the time I went to bed there were five people who'd already replied and said yes!

This will be the first time I've facilitated such a discussion. I'm kind of nervous (see photo!) because I'm not entirely sure what to expect. I don't know what problems might come up. Well, except for one - I'm kind of afraid that I'll start things off... and get crickets!

I just (like 45 seconds ago!) put a notice up on twitter, which I haven't been on, like, all summer. I'll probably retweet it a few times over the next couple of days, see if it gets any traction. I really hope to get a nice-sized crowd and some good conversation and idea-sharing back and forth. The lasting connections that you can form with people who share your purpose and your passion... that, to me, is the best part of the internet.

Then again, I feel like I've kind of neglected those connections this summer - at least professionally. I've been away a lot, for one thing, and for another I've really tried to focus on my writing and along that line been much more active on tumblr as a new platform.

So once again I find myself reaffirming my commitment to Epic Adventures here. I feel like I'm at some kind of professional turning point; I've developed confidence in what I'm doing as a teacher but at the same time -- or perhaps as a result? -- I feel like it's time for me to develop My Thing, to craft some sort of niche for myself that can be my area of expertise. It's a very nebulous, uncertain sort of feeling, though, and I'm not at all sure that I'm up to the task.

But oh well! I suppose the fact that it's "uncomfortable" just means it fits in completely with my "professional theme" as it were, haha... because it's definitely going to be an adventure!

 Stock image

0 comments:

Post a Comment