Sunday, November 04, 2007

On the Death of a Sock

So just this morning - really, just before I sat down to begin writing this (though who knows when I'll finish!) - I threw away a pair of socks. The one had a little hole that my big toe pushes through and gets stuck in, making the hole worse each time I wear that pair of socks.

I'm not particularly fond of those socks. They're comfortable and a nice shade of dusty pink, but they're just socks. But as I walked them over to the trash can, I couldn't get the phrase "Ending is better than mending... ending is better than mending..." out of my head. And I can't tell you how much that creeps me out.

Perhaps this is because we've started our unit on dystopian literature and I've re-read the booklist plus a number of other related novels and stories. I actually haven't been able to finish Edward Bellamy's Looking Backward because when I start reading his sparkling ideas about the (then) future, I get horribly disheartened.

I am completely dependent upon others for food, water, clothing, shelter, health services, information and energy. And as I do not share Mr. Bellamy's rosy view of the future, this makes me a little uncomfortable. I have placed myself in a position that requires me to trust people about whom I know very little.

On the other hand, it shouldn't be too terribly difficult to prepare for self-sufficiency if the need should arise. Here is what I would need to do:

- Pay off all debt.
- Learn to build with cob; test soil.
- Learn to install and repair electrical systems and plumbing.
- Plant and maintain a vegetable garden.
- Learn to weave and sew with non-electrical equipment.
- Learn butchering.
- Obtain and learn to shoot well with rifle, handgun, and bow.
- Dig a cellar and set a foundation for the cob house.
- Obtain and install solar panels and a Franklin stove.
- Build water collection and purification systems.
- Build and secure a fence around the property.
- Raise guineas.
- Store materials: sand/straw, solar panels, canned food and some extra can openers, batteries, candles, matches, vitamins, medicine & first aid supplies, soap, and ammunition.

Ain't no zombie apocalypse gonna take ME out...

2 comments:

The Science Goddess said...

Is that ALL you'd have to learn to do? I'm laughing---not at you, but because it seems like such a big list (and I know mine would likely have more on it!).

When I think that my mother lived in a house where they raised their own food and had no indoor plumbing, it's amazing how much we've "lost" in one generation in the name of modernization.

Clix said...

Well, fortunately, most of the "learning" items are things I'm interested in anyway, so I can follow up on the interest with some expertise! The tough ones for me are going to be the gardening and the sewing. Still, I'll keep my Little House and Firefox books at hand for encouragement, and after the world ends, I will be able to declare myself Empress of the Enclave!

Or something. ;D

Post a Comment