Thursday, April 10, 2008

Steamed: The Continuing Story

*g* That makes it sound interesting, doesn't it? ;) Well, really it wasn't all that interesting. I called her in at the end of the other class period, and I said to her that I thought she truly MEANT what she wrote, that she was very sincere about it, but that sincerity is not the same thing as accuracy. We talked (well, mostly I talked) about my expectations for student behavior. I agreed that they might be stricter than those in other classes. She agreed that they weren't unreasonable. I let her know that I didn't enjoy the extreme heat in the classroom either, but that until it was fixed, I would have to suffer through, just like they did.

I'm not sure what to make of it, but I think she did appreciate that I read the note and took it seriously. In class, I think she was trying to help out, because she went "shh!" a couple of times, and not in a you're-annoying-me-so-shut-up way, but more as a reminder to others who were talking (albeit quietly).

We'll see how things play out.

1 comments:

loonyhiker said...

I think you handled it perfectly. This was a great example of "customer service" that I mentioned in my blog. Sometimes people just wnat to be heard and vent and really don't mean it personally. That you took the time to meet with her and address her concerns was meaningful to her and may change the way she percieves you. If not, at least you tried and no one can ask a teacher to do more than that.

Post a Comment