Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Day 4 Reflection

It still didn't (quite) work. The grammar starter which seems so BASIC to me takes them 20 minutes, so it's 35 minutes into the period before we did the next activity, which I wanted to be short but it wasn't.

On a 3x5 index card, the students list name, favorite color, favorite foods, and songs they like. Then they got up in front of the class and read from the cards. It's about as non-threatening as I can think to make public speaking, and since we're going to do reader's theater of "The Southpaw" tomorrow, I wanted to get some practice in today. I only had one student flat-out refuse to do it (well, actually, I had another one say there was no way I could get her to do it, it was stupid, and she'd just take a zero, and that was stupid too! but then when her TURN came after I'd asked for volunteers & then started calling on people, she said, 'awh, I guess I will' and DID!) which was very encouraging.

So then we VERY quickly reviewed some figurative language (metaphor, simile, imagery, symbolism) and there's half an hour left and they didn't finish the story or their miniposters yesterday and AUGH! AUGH!

And this is AFTER I cut out the story that I'd wanted to have them read today. AUGH. Why does everything have to take for EVER?

I am so tired.

Image thanks to http://www.whole-person-counseling.com/Public_Speaking.htm

0 comments:

Post a Comment