Monday, January 26, 2009

The Interview: A Reverse Meme

Okay, so like with most memes, the person currently posting chooses who the meme gets passed on to. You know, "tagging." Anyway, this one's different.

If you want to participate (and be warned - you don't know WHAT you might get asked - heh, heh!)

1. Leave me a comment saying, “Interview me.”
2. I will respond by emailing you five questions. (I get to pick the questions).
3. You will update your blog with the answers to the questions.
4. You will include this explanation and an offer to interview someone else in the same post.
5. When others comment asking to be interviewed, you will ask them five questions.


I got my questions from Pseudonymous High School Teacher. Find the questions - and, natch, the answers - behind the cut. If you'd like me to interview YOU, just include your email address in a comment to this post. It'll help if you also somehow connect me with your blog so that I can look over it for question ideas. Also? I would LOVE it if you'd comment back here - or on whatever my latest post is - letting me know once you've answered the questions!

1. If you could time travel back in time or forward in time for an afternoon of hanging out and chatting, what time period would you visit and who would you visit with?

Hm. Stink. I'm stuck - I'd love to find out what happened to Agatha Christie when she disappeared. And I can't help wondering what would've happened if John Wesley had ignored his brother Charles and married the chick he liked. Oh! And I would've liked to meet Charlotte Corday before she killed Marat, and talk with her about what would happen as a result, and see if she still wanted to do it.

2. You are going to be given one superpower. What do you want and why?

Telepathy. I would RULE THE WORLD. Seriously, it is like MAD useful! I'd just have to make sure I did a quick scan for any OTHER telepaths... oo, the things I would KNOW!

3. You are housesitting for a friend and you are far from the store. As you open the pantry or fridge, what five items do you hope are stocked there for you?

Really, it depends how long I'm going to be there. If it's just for a weekend... hm. Well, Sunkist Fruit Gems, of course, which are darn near impossible to find, these days. Several nice slabs of filet. Mashed potatoes made with heavy cream. Several gallons of Goya Champagne Cola. All of this high in iron, B12, calcium, vitamin C, and fiber. And calorie-free, of course.

And... a winning PowerBall ticket.

4. How did you come to be an English teacher?

Dumb luck? Pig-headed obstinacy? I enjoyed reading and writing as I was growing up, and both my parents are teachers, so of course I wanted to be a teacher. And then I darn near flunked student teaching. I was... yeah. I was pretty sorry.

But - you know, I don't think I've ever thanked my mom. You see, I graduated from FSU. And then I moved back to Pennsylvania. And I'd had ENOUGH of teaching. But somehow my mom verbally wrangled me into taking the Praxis...es? anyway, the exams I needed to get my PA certificate. I sat on it for another ... year? maybe two years? before I started subbing.

Substitute teaching was a great way for me to get over my fear of the classroom. No, really! Because it's just ONE DAY. Seriously. I didn't have any gun trouble - if I had, things might be different - and sure, the kids were little pishers, but I can deal with that for ONE DAY. And it was great training - because the kids were little pishers!

No grading.

No planning.

No commitment.

And best of all? I could unplug the phone. God, that was wonderful.

I'd still be a happy sub if it weren't for my pride. Not being a "real" teacher pinched awfully. When I started talking about applying, the Hunk asked me to consider the area he was from, and I said ok. They hired me here, and so we moved, and now I am a DAMN Yankee, rather than just a Yankee.

Damn Yankee. Damn Right. Damn Proud!

5. Where is your favorite place you have been to on vacation?

Ninny Whirl!

(for those of you not familiar with DorkSpeak, that's "Disney World.") Seriously. Disney is just... it really is a Magic Kingdom. I can still sing along with the record - RECORD! - I have of the Electric Parade. I even know where it'll fade out because you have to flip the record. We haven't been there since our honeymoon but we paid off the Hunk's student loan in November, and we'll pay off the house-needs-a-new-roof loan this month, and I think we'll pay off my student loan next month. And so this summer we are GOING BACK TO NINNY WHIRL!! EEEEEEEEEE!!!


Image thanks to http://www.thecosmicwomb.com/

2 comments:

Mrs. Chili said...

I have questions going up in a couple of days - Kwizgiver got to interview me - but I'll answer your questions, too, if you care to send me any...

Melissa B. said...

Interview me! Please? Thanks!

Post a Comment