Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Stupidus Caesar: Probable Passage



I have a file of ideas for Caesar. Among them I saw this:

Probable Passage is one of my favorite pre-reading techniques, and works especially well for Shakespeare.

In case you've never done it before:
You decide on the 10 most important words in the text, including a few names (for Macbeth it would be something like, "witches," "murder," "king," "sleepwalk," "wife," "Macbeth," Macduff," "Scotland" and so on).

You copy these and cut them out so that each group of four or five students will get a set of all 10 words to manipulate.
You tell them that each of the 10 words falls into one of five categories: Plot, Setting, Characters, Conflict, and Resolution. It is up to them to decide which categories they think each word falls into.
Once they've done that, they write a gist statement, USING ALL 10 WORDS to describe what they predict might happen in the story.
Then, when you read, they can be prompted to make connections between their predictions and the actual story.


Here are the prediction words I've been able to narrow it down to:

Brutus, Cassius, Antony, Caesar, ambition, honorable, murder, prevent, king, public opinion, funeral speech, war, loyalty, friend, country, defeat, suicide.

That's definitely more than ten, but I'm not sure what I should cut. They ALL seem like important words to me!

We haven't even started, and already I'm counting down the days until they ALL DIE. Blegh.

I'm digging these RSC images, though!! DANG! Who'd've thought the geezer had so much blood in him, hm? ;D

Image thanks to http://www.rsc.org.uk

0 comments:

Post a Comment