Sunday, September 20, 2009

Selling Out

So I've got a donorschoose proposal for two digital point-and-shoot cameras that's almost fully funded. I've got another under review - that one is for supplies for writers' workshop. I've got four more in draft, waiting for me to write an essay that will convince people to donate money.

And I am just outta words.

I have a vague idea of what I want to say for the one I'm working on. I'm requesting a set of children's picture books that my high school students can use to practice reading out loud, because I am SO TIRED of listening to droning voices. And I know that if I'M bored, there's no way that they're fascinated.

I could just blah blah blah through it, but if it's not going to be something that gets me funded, it's a waste of time anyway.

The beginning asks for one line that will inspire or grab the attention of donors. I don't even have that. (I do think my title is pretty kickin', though - I see it as a shout-out to both Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Bon Jovi's "Bad Medicine," though it's a common enough phrase.)

It definitely frustrates me that you have to meet the word count before you can save. It's easy enough to work around - at least one of my drafts has a few inspirational quotes (I haven't decided which one I want to use yet) and the rest filled out with 'essay here essay here essay here.'

I guess I really ought to be over there, grinding through it, and I'll head that direction in a minute, but sometimes it just helps to acknowledge the struggle.

Image thanks to http://www.newsobserver.com/

0 comments:

Post a Comment